Monday, 8 August 2011

Seeking professional advice

First anniversary week – Day one

This is the first of five posts on major issues affecting British and Irish expats and property owners in Spain. On first view it may not look like a major issue but I know from emails received that it certainly is.

No trick question but where do think is the best place to seek advice?

  • A man in a pub. The classic quote I hear so often is ‘I heard somewhere………’
  • An unauthorised, non regulated and unqualified person or company who calls themselves an ‘adviser’
  • A properly trained, fully qualified, authorised and regulated, individual or company who not only give you the best advice, but as part of their professionalism carry PI (professional indemnity) cover in case things go wrong.

Is there really a choice?

Why would you not use a professional?

Apart from owning property in Spain for nine years and struggling to find professional advice, in the last year my Blog has lead me to many professionals. If you need advice, please email me.

My own connections included the following professionals;

  • Regulated financial advisers( FSA, CNMV, DGS)
  • Suitably qualified accountants
  • Professional lawyers
  • Chartered surveyors in Spain
  • Members of the Association of Property Professionals
  • Company formation for property ownership specialists

If you email please let me know your question and where you live. I may be able to answer myself, just point you in the right direction or refer you to a suitably qualified person.

For more detailed reading you may wish to look at previous posts to my Blog

Please remember that my Blog is about unbiased, factual financial information. You can look elsewhere for information but remember that an advert will certainly be biased towards the company who paid for it. I have no problem with that but remember it’s biased!

David Goodall
Financial Pages in Spain